My favorite podcasts

I decided to post something different for tonight's blog post. It isn't music related but it does involve audio. Last summer after all the trauma and the loss of my father, I wasn't in much of a mood for a lot of music. There was some I listened to but a lot of it just turned me off so I started listening to more podcasts asides from the now cancelled Another Round (RIP). As a result, I started to find myself in a whole 'nother world especially true crime podcasts. Listening to true crime podcasts is my version of soap operas except they are actual events unfortunately. They proved to be a good distraction for me to be honest and a great way to make my work day go by quickly (and drown out the dipshits near me).

Here are my favorite podcasts I am currently listening to:

The Vanished Podcast - Just started listening to this podcast just prior to my trip to Chicago. It is addicting although depressing AF because most of the cases are unsolved cold cases. The more I have listened to each episode, I have learned just how law enforcement views missing people cases and not necessarily in a good way.  I love that the host allows family members of the missing person control the narrative of the story on how the person went missing. I just hope one day all the cases featured on The Vanished that are still unsolved will be solved and the families can get some sort of resolution to the mystery of why their loved one disappeared.

Casefile - My favorite true crime podcast. The host is anonymous, probably because he doesn't want to be a distraction from the narrative of the episode. There are a good mix of solved and unsolved cases. There is a lot of graphic details in each of the cases which may not be suitable for the faint of heart. Hell! I couldn't listen to all five parts of the East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer mini-series. Some of my favorite episodes includes the Silk Road, Mia Zapata, and The Moors Murders.

Crime in Color - This is another favorite true crime podcast. In this series, people of color are the focus while a lot of other true crime podcasts, POC are virtually nonexistent. 

Criminal - Another favorite TC podcast with a slightly different perspective in the cases it covers.

The David Chang Show - I love chef and host of Ugly Delicious David Chang. Now David has his own podcast. My favorite episode so far is with street artist and fellow Korean-American David Choe, it is two hours of the two men just chewing the fat. There is a lot of rawness, honesty, anger, and pain from David Choe but the conversation is so fascinating and so refreshing because the two friends don't hold things back with each other. The two men do discuss for a moment about the passing of their good friend Anthony Bourdain.  

See Something Say Something - This is a podcast geared towards Muslim Americans which is sorely needed in this day and age of that orange clown in the White House. I just love listening to what the host Ahmed Ali Akbar and his guests discuss. It is very educational for non-Muslims. 

The Cheryl Reeve Show - As  Minnesota Lynx fan, this is a must listen for me.

Unhappy Hour with Matt Bellassai - whenever I need a good laugh, I will turn to former BuzzFeed host of Whine About It Matt Bellassai. This guy is hilarious. I found him through his guest appearances on Another Round. His podcast is about complaining and it is hilarious to listen to Matt and his guests complain. 

These podcasts I felt like I had to mention but can't really recommend.

True Crime Garage - I will listen to this podcast every now and then but it is definitely not my favorite TC podcast. I don't care for hearing the two hosts crack jokes through out each episodes (some being totally inappropriate). I am also not a fan that they have given that internet troll James Renner airtime for his ridiculous conspiracy theories. I will say this aboutTCG, they give a lot of coverage for unsolved cold cases which are needed to solve them since the mainstream media has moved on. 

Sword and Scale - This was an interesting podcast that I listened for awhile until one day before the host began the show, he warned listeners that in the FB group they would be making off colored jokes. I think that it is disgusting that people would think it would be appropriate to make light of such serious matter like violent crimes.

Missing Maura Murray - a pretty good TC podcast but again like TCG, they have a history of giving James Renner publicity for his nonsense. His theories on Maura Murray is why I can't stand this man. 

Comments

Popular Posts