My current favorite songs of the week

I am going to a concert tomorrow night so I thought I would post my playlist of my current favorite songs tonight. I got a good mix of old and new songs on this week's playlist. Got some old faves like "Ball and Chain" by Social Distortion, Clan of Xymox's "Cry in the Wind", and "Dazzle" by Siouxsie and The Banshees

Right now I am really digging the new Holygram song "Signals" which recently came out a few days ago. I am really psyched that they will be opening up for VNV Nation later this year. Really dig their post-punk/darkwave sound. I started listening to them when I came across their music on youtube earlier this year. Another great post-punk band I am also listening to quite a bit lately is ACTORS, they are from Vancouver, B.C. I think I found them on the website Post-Punk.com . Their album It Will Come to You was released earlier this year.

When I was putting together my Siouxsie and The Banshees playlist earlier this week, I was reminded just how fantastic the string arrangements on "Dazzle" were. It is my easily my favorite song off Hyena. I think that was the first song I had ever heard by the band when I bought their singles compilation Twice Upon a Time. I adore "Cities in Dust" but "Dazzle" definitely has a special place in my heart. Siouxsie and The Banshees music is what made my one year in that cesspool aka the University of Northern Iowa a little less miserable. Try being a feminist (and a raging progressive), person of color who was not into mainstream music, and an art major in a lily white, conservative setting. Yeah that wasn't fun.

I really do regret not knowing about the new SPECTRA*paris album Retromachine Betty. It is so damn good. I certainly would have included it on last year's best of list. The music has some great pop hooks just like with Kirlian Camera but the overall tone is lighter and more retro and on the electropop.

Still listening the hell out of the ChandelierMortal Longing, and The Victorian Wallflower. So I had to include tracks from those albums on this week's playlist. Still haven't gotten sick of listening to Chandelier. I doubt I ever will ;).

Collide has a new remix album out called Mind and Matter. I haven't listened to the entire album but from what I have heard, the remixes are really good. At the moment,my favorite track is "Freaks Me Out (Blue Stahli Remix)".

Songs to check out:
"The Island" by Ladytron
"Star Bubbles" by SPECTRA*paris
"Waiting for the Fall" by Ashbury Heights
"Idee Fixe" by Sleepthief
"Damage" by Autumn
"Hit to the Head" by ACTORS
"Signals" by Holygram



Comments

Popular Posts