Earworm of the week

All this week I have been listening the hell out of Rhiannon Giddens' two solo albums that I bought last weekend Tomorrow is My Turn and Freedom Highway. The song that really got my undivided attention was her powerful live performance of "Waterboy" by Jacques Wolfe. The live performances I have seen of Rhiannon performing the song (on YouTube) sounds so more impressive than the recorded version. She really lets the audience know of her presence on stage. The first time I saw this live clip at the Americana Music Festival, chills went down my spine because that is how damn good the song sounds live. I heard on a Ted Talk appearance, Rhiannon said she channels Odetta (a hero of hers) when she sings this track, and I can definitely hear Odetta come through Rhiannon. I love this side of Rhiannon. "Waterboy" was truly written for her. I have posted some clips of other singers performing the song but none comes close to Rhiannon's version.  On a lot of her music on both of her solo albums, Rhiannon is more restrained but on this track she just cuts loose. It seems like the older I get, the harder it is for me to be impressed by most musicians. Rhiannon Giddens is that rare gem that I found that took me by complete surprise. I have the band Birds of Chicago to give credit for that because had I not read about the new project Our Native Daughters (BoC's Allison Russell is part of), I would not have known about Rhiannon Giddens.



Here are some other versions of "Waterboy":










To be honest, Odetta's version of "Waterboy" is the only other version I liked. When the men sang the song, I couldn't help but cringe. Sorry but I just didn't like listening to the men sing the song. 

Comments

Popular Posts