My current favorite songs of the week

TGIF! My weekend has already begun since I took today off from work. Not a lot of new music this week. I have spent most of the week listening to my Americana Playlist . I just hadn't been in the mood to listen to usual faves by Holygram, Kaelan Mikla, Panic Priest, etc...etc... . To be honest, I am kinda getting burned out on darkwave, industrial, synthpop, etc... at the moment. I did include a few darker tracks by the likes of Chelsea Wolfe, Ashbury Heights, In Good Faith, and Train to Spain.

I have been listening a lot lately to the wonderful celtic/folk sounds of Rhiannon Giddens (of Carolina Chocolate Drops fame). Rhiannon founded the super group Our Native Daughters, which consists of four black female artists which you can read about in this NPR article from last month Rhiannon Giddens forms Our Native Daughters , Shares Harrowing "Mama's Cryin' Long". After listening to "Mama's Cryin' Long" (and another song "Quesheba, Quesheba"), I decided to check out Rhiannon's solo albums. I also read up on Rhiannon's musical background, I was really impressed to see that she is classically trained in opera and is just as much as an accomplished musician too. I have not been able to stop listening to Rhiannon's two solo albums, I even ordered one album online and bought another while at the Electric Fetus today. I absolutely ove Rhiannon's second album Freedom Highway but I have to admit Tomorrow is My Turn is my personal favorite album. Her version of "Waterboy" really demonstrates just how bloody talented Rhiannon is as a singer. She has a tremendous set of pipes. I saw on a youtube clip with Rhiannon talking about how the singer Odetta is a huge influence on this particular track. I found a YouTube clip of Odetta performing "Waterboy". Love that version as much as Rhiannon's interpretation. I can totally hear some Odetta in Rhiannon on this track. I have included another track on the playlist from Rhiannon off her second album titled "Birmingham Sunday". What a powerful song.  Of course I have included "Mama's Cryin' Long" from Our Native Daughters which Rhiannon sings lead vocals on. I strongly recommend listening to it, the lyrics truly moved me. I am seriously looking forward to the debut album from Our Native Daughters. If Rhiannon or Our Native Daughters passes through the Twin Cities, I am so there.

Tamaryn has a new song out called "Fit of Rage". I adore it. Anyone who went to the brief Lush reunion tour in 2016, Tamaryn opened up for the band. She has a new coming out in March. Her new  song dropped earlier this week. I am excited about a new album by Tamaryn. I hope a tour will follow suit. I would love to see her again.

I was at the Electric Fetus today. I picked up Rhiannon's second album Freedom Highway and Dessa's first album A Badly Broken Code. I think that album is my favorite album by Dessa..

Still not a fan of modern country music. I think 99% is awful but I do like Kacey Musgraves and her new album Golden Hour. I see why critics listed the album as one of the best albums of 2018. Kacey has ditched the country/western sound for something more pop sounding ala Taylor Swift. I have a couple of tracks from Kacey on my playlist.

I completely forgot how good The Mavericks' music is. This is my kind of country music. I think I was in high school or a freshman in college when I first heard their music. I love the Latin influence in the music.

Songs to check out:
"Waterboy" by Rhiannon Giddens
"Mama's Cryin' Long" by Our Native Daughters
"Fits of Rage" by Tamaryn
"Into the Spin" by Dessa
"Birmingham Sunday" by Rhiannon Giddens
"Odland" by In Good Faith
"Happy and Sad" by Kacey Musgraves
"I Follow You" by Train to Spain
"Dance the Night Away" by The Mavericks

Comments

Popular Posts