Playlist of the week

I was going to share my recently created EBM/Futurepop playlist I put together two weekends ago however I recently put together a new playlist I have fallen in love with, and have been listening to it all day today at work.  As of lately I have been listening to a lot of Americana music lately (i.e Birds of Chicago, Brandi Carlile,  Rhiannon Giddens, and Our Native Daughters, Rhiannon and Allison Russell of Birds of Chicago's new supergroup), and this inspired me to put together this playlist on such a short notice. I am really excited about the upcoming Songs of Our Native Daughters. I really dig Rhiannon and Allison's work outside the band so for them to collaborate (with Amythyst Kiah and Leyla McCalla) on this album, I am looking forward to this new project when it comes out next month. I have provided a link to the album which goes into detail about the creation of the group.

 I am generally not a fan of what passes off as country (and western) music nowadays, that sort of music annoys me however when I was putting together this playlist today, however the stuff of yesteryear is another story. I will though say that Margo Price and Amanda Shires (two thirds of the newly formed supergroup The Highwaywomen) are an exception. Late last year there was a concert of The Highwaymen on PBS, I remember enjoying their music. I recently remembered to start listening to their music on Spotify. Such kickass music. This I can dig, not Kenny Chesney or Garth Brooks (blech!). I have included tracks on the playlist by Dixie Chicks, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Kris Kristofferson, The Mavericks, Steve Earle, and Dwight Yoakam. Those artists and bands I can listen to and enjoy their music.

I have included into the mix some alt-country and folk music. I love the results. I will probably keep building on it. Listening to this music is a nice change of pace from all the darkwave, synthpop, and industrial music I listen to while at work.

Songs to check out: 
"Love in Wartime" by Birds of Chicago
"Quasheba, Quasheba" by Our Native Daughters
"Birmingham Sunday" by Rhiannon Giddens
"Everybody Knows" by Dixie Chicks
"The Hardest Part" by Allison Moorer
"What a Crying Shame" by The Mavericks
"Mammas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys" by The Highwaymen

Comments

Popular Posts