My current favorite songs of the week

Well another week has come and gone. Could have lived without another blast of Artic Air which won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

I got to hear the new Boy Harsher album Careful via NPR this week. They did not disappoint it is a fantastic album. I definitely plan on buying it when it comes out next week.  If you like bands like Kaelan Mikla. Another great darkwave album is Fierce by Hante. Love it!

I also heard the new album by Leyla McCalla (former on/off again member of Carolina Chocolate Drops) with Capitalist Blues via NPR as well, and now the album is out today. Leyla is also part of the Our Native Daughters project featuring Rhiannon Giddens, Allison Russell (of Birds of Chicago), and Amythyst Kiah. I really liked this album a lot more than her previous album Vari-Colored Songs. Now that Leyla lives in New Orleans, I think the culture there has really seeped into her music on her new album which makes for a more diverse album.

Speaking of Amythyst Kiah, I couldn't help but notice how much she sounds like Tracy Chapman with her deep, husky vocals. She is so damn good. I have included a couple of tracks from her solo album and one with her band Her Chest of Glass. Now I am really excited about the upcoming album from Our Native Daughters project and hear all the women sing on the album. It is so wonderful when I see women come together on a musical project than try to tear each other apart in the media like Cardi B and Nicki Minaj (or the twits on Love and Hip Hop shows).

The new Piroshka song "What's Next?" is soooo damn good. I think it is better "Everlastingly Yours" which is good but it is a bit dull in comparison to the new single. I love the hooks in this new song and the high energy too. I certainly plan on buying the new Piroshka album. Glad to see Micki Beranyi back into the swing of things in the music scene.

Just the other this week, I came across a clip on YouTube of The Chieftains and Carolina Chocolate Drops (Rhiannon Gidden's former band) performing "Pretty Little Girl". I think that song has to be my favorite track on my playlist. I have been listening to it a lot all day long. I also love watching the video because I can see how much fun Rhiannon is performing the song. She is amazing on the fiddle too.

And yes I am still on my Rhiannon Gidden kick this week ;). Her music is life to me.

Listened to the new All Hail the Silence album (Dagger). It is a pretty decent synthpop album. Has great beats and hooks but the songs tends to sound the same.

Songs to check out:
"Pretty Little Girl" by The Chieftains and Carolina Chocolate Drops
"We Could Fly" by Rhiannon Giddens
"Lavi Vye Neg" by Leyla McCalla
"Aragon Mill"  and "Dark Holler" by Amythyst Kiah
"Waiting for a Hurricane" by Hante
"Fate" by Boy Harsher
"What's Next?" by Piroshka
"The Middle" by Trampled by Turtles

Comments

Popular Posts