What I am currently listening to

I hope everyone is staying warm this weekend (for those in Minnesota/Wisconsin and subjected to sub-zero temperatures).  So here is everything  I have been listening to this week. I have included a new podcast to my folder of podcasts called Yo! Is This Racist?. It is quite entertaining. 

Obviously  I am still on my Americana kick. Another artist I have been enjoying the hell out of lately is Amythyst Kiah, another member of the new supergroup Our Native Daughters. Amythyst is an independent singer/songwriter who has such a commanding voice that bears a striking resemblance to Tracy Chapman but I can also hear a little Nina Simone in her (one of her musical influences). Absolutely adore her music,it sends chills down my spine. Her ballads are gorgeous especially "Myth", "Dark Holler", and "Aragon Mill". I am particularly fond of her acoustic album Dig. I just love the sparse sounds of just her vocals and an acoustic guitars, compared to her work with Her Chest of Glass which she is backed by a band. I enjoy her work with Her Chest of Glass however I find myself preferring her solo acoustic work. Nevertheless I do recommend checking out both Dig and Amythyst Kiah and Her Chest of Glass.

Also have been listening to fellow Our Native Daughters member Leyla McCalla's music this week. Her new album The Capitalist Blues was released yesterday. Great album! IMO better than the other album I listened to this week Vari-Colored Songs. For some odd reason, that album didn't resonate with me. I still need to listen to A Day For the Hunter, A Day for the Prey. I am excited about the new project she and Amythyst Kiah (along with Rhiannon Giddens and Birds of Chicago's Allison Russell) are a part of called Our Native Daughters. I love the concept of the project of writing and singing the plight of enslaved black women from the Civil War era. Considering how disrespected black women are in this day and age or seeing black women go at each other in the media and on tv, I think his project is needed to show that women of color need to support each other and not go at each other. So tired of shows like Black Ink and Love and Hip Hop that shows black men and women in such a negative light.

I did manage to sneak in some darkwave and synthpop music this week. Love the new Hante and Boy Harsher albums, I was kinda disappointed in the All Hail the Silence album which the songs sounded all the same to me. Also threw in some local music by Dessa and Promidal. I have to say the new Promidal album Magnum Tenebrosum is a huge improvement over Simul iustus et peccator. My friend Tracey's vocals sounds ten times better on the new album. Also I think the music is a lot more aggressive.

Albums:




































Boy Harsher: Careful

Playlists:










Podcasts: 
Yo! Is This Racist?
The Vanished
Intrigued Full Effect Podcast
Fake the Nation
Gravy Podcast
The Splendid Table
Lynx Radio

Comments

Popular Posts