Playlist of the week

Just shortly after Christmas, I discovered that Nightwish's first two albums Angels Fall First and Oceanborn were available for streaming on Spotify. I was  hoping that the band's earlier music during the Tarja era would surface on the streaming platform. I have been dreaming of this day to come for a long time. While there is no Wishmaster or Century Child, I am not going to complain. I spent a good chunk of my time last week updating my Ever Dream playlist which features a mix of music from Nightwish as well as music from their current and former singers.

It is funny, I used to not like Angels Fall First many, many moons ago when I first started listening to Nightwish but now that I have gotten older over the years. The album isn't as bad as I originally it was. Oceanborn and Wishmaster remains my favorite Nightwish albums from the Tarja era however Angels Fall First is a solid album. It definitely has improved since it was remastered awhile back. I can also say the same about the band's albums with Anette Olzon.

I originally had another Nightwish playlist but I decided to delete it. Over the summer, I felt it was time for a new playlist but one that would include all the projects that involved Floor, Anette, and Tarja but it is primarily a Nightwish playlist. I would have included Floor's new side project Northward but I honestly am not a fan of the album. It lacked the heaviness of her previous bands ReVamp and After Forever, and to be honest, the songs did not stand out with me. I am quite satisfied how this playlist turned out. I may edit it from time to time to keep it fresh.

Songs to check out:
"Amaranth"  and "Storytime" (both the live versions with Floor Jansen the original with Anette Olzon) by Nightwish
"Alpenglow" by Nightwish
"Lies" by Anette Olzon
"Here's to You" by The Dark Element (Anette's new band)
"Empty Memories" by After Forever

Comments

Popular Posts