Earworm of the week

This week I have been listening a lot to Dig by Amythyst Kiah. It is my current favorite album. I love all the songs on the album but there is definitely one particular song from the record that I just adore and it is the Clarence Ashley song "Dark Holler". I have posted the Clarence Ashley track below Amythyst Kiah's version. The original is from 1929 and is also known as "Dark Holler Blues" and "East Virginia Blues". I am not going to lie, I prefer Amythyst Kiah's interpretation of the bluegrass classic. Her voice simply takes my breath away. I love that Amythyst sings this song from a queer woman's POV which makes the song all the more heartbreaking to listen. Amythyst's version of "Dark Holler" has such a haunting quality to it, the song almost leaves me to tears because of the lyrics and just how well sung it is by Amythyst Kiah. 


Comments

Popular Posts