Album of the week

I postponed this blog entry because I honestly had a craptastic day at the office and really wasn't in the mood to work on my blog.

Sleepthief is a one man electronic act (i.e Justin Elswick) who collaborates with numerous talented singers like Coury Palermo, Kirsty Hawkshaw, Kyoko Baertsoen (formerly of Lunascape), and Zoe Johnston to just name a few. Mortal Longing is the third album (last album was released in 2009) that was just released last week. I have been waiting for this album for the last three years since its crowdfunding campaign was started up. The wait was definitely worth the wait. The album is just over an hour long, and the music is as enchanting as its predecessors. The music has a good balance between pop, new age, and electronica. His choice in singers to work with his impeccable. I haven't heard a singer on his albums that I didn't like. My faves includes Caroline Lavelle (who tours with Loreena McKennitt), Jody Quine, Kirsty Hawkshaw, Joanna Stevens, and Coury Palermo. Mortal Longing was so worth the wait. Considering  the type of music I listen to, listening to Mortal Longing is a nice way to balance things out and to chill out to after a long day at the office.

I have been a fan since The Dawnseeker first came out in 2006. I think I found Sleepthief through Myspace. I immediately fell in love with Justin's compositions. I was reminded of Lunascape, Hooverphonic, Delerium, Conjure One, and Balligomingo with the mix of new age and modern electronic music. This is what Delerium's music I wish sounds like, not that dreadful full-blown pop music that they have been going full speed ahead in for the last several albums.

Songs to check out:
"The Falcon in the Snow"
"Idee Fixe"
"Zero Sum"
"This Means War"
"Asleep in Metropolis"

Comments

Popular Posts