Playlist of the week

Awhile back, Spotify removed a few of Nightwish's albums (as well as other albums by other artists and bands) off its streaming site. I ended up deleting my former Nightwish playlist. Then a week or two ago I discovered that the missing albums were brought back. I decided to re-do my Nightwish playlist but to include music by Tarja, Anette, and Floor from their solo albums and past/present bands. I also included some compelling classical interpretations of songs from Imaginaerum (Anette's swansong with the band).

I am fortunate to have seen Nightwish with Tarja, Anette, and Floor (second time this past spring in Chicago) as the band's front woman. Each of the women offer their own unique take on Tuomas' beautiful compositions. Yeah Tarja was great when she was with the band but I think it was inevitable she would branch out on her own (despite the controversy over her departure from the band). The more I think about it in recent years, the more inclined I think her departure was inevitable and she would go off on her own and explore her classical roots. It took me a few years after Anette's departure from the band did I really come to appreciate her work with Nightwish. I absolutely love her work on Imaginaerum (my favorite album with the band). It wasn't until her much underrated  Shine did I really come to appreciate Anette as an artist. It is a fantastic album. I was thrilled when she decided join The Dark Element. Their 2017 debut album The Dark Element was one of my top 20 favorite releases from that year. Finally Floor Jansen. She is so wonderful as front woman for Nightwish. She executes the songs that Tarja and Anette song so well. Floor is also a lot of fun to watch live. She clearly loves to perform live. I hope Floor sticks around in Nightwish for a long time. I look forward to 2020 when the band releases a new album.

Songs to check out:
"Amaranth"
"Lies" (Anette Olzon)
"Alpenglow"
"Ghost Love Score"
"Ever Dream" (2013 at WackenAir Live version with Floor Jansen)
"Only One Who Knows Me" (The Dark Element)

Comments

Popular Posts