My current favorite songs of the week

Yay! The weekend has finally arrived! Got a slew of new music on this week's playlist of my current favorite songs. Found a couple of more awesome Nordic folk bands whose music is similar to the sounds of The HU, Nine Treasures, and Hanggai but more on the folky side and less metal, nevertheless still kick ass. Thank you Spotify! I also discovered the dreampop sounds of Hatchie (also through Spotify) and local musician Lady Midnight courtesy of a good friend/former coworker of mine. It has been a very good week.

I am still enjoying the hell out of the new albums by Graveyard Club and The Ocean Club. I do regret not seeing them last Friday however as a devoted fan of Autumn and a fairly new fan to the postpunk sounds of Echo Signal, I couldn't miss their sets at Casket Arts. Also it has been awhile since I last attended a local show. It was good to go see some local bands and be in a more relaxed setting unlike the Basilica Block Party music festival a few weekends ago. 2019 is really shaping up to be a great year for local music from Graveyard Club, The Rope, Echo Signal, and my favorite Lady Midnight (my former coworker's daughter helped direct and create the music video for "Bloodsong", go check it out on YouTube).

Today I listened to the new albums by Berlin and Bananarama. I have to say I prefer the new Bananarama over the new Berlin album. Both group's sound has definitely been updated to sound more modern. In Bananarama's case, I think the change in their music sounded more natural. In the beginning there sound was more EDM but towards the end, I was reminded of Kylie Minogue. Berlin's new album was anything but interesting. I was just bored by the new Berlin album for the most part but I do like "On My Knee".

Before I forget, I have to mention the Japanese metal band Gyze. They recently dropped their new album Asian Chaos. My current favorite song off the album "Eastern Spirits". I love their mix of death metal and traditional Japanese music.

Songs to check out:
"Bloodsong" by Lady Midnight
"Her Own Heart" by Hatchie
"I Riden Sa" by Helisir
"Seidhjallar" by Runahild
"The Chain" by The Highwaywomen
"Love in Stereo" by Bananarama
"Soulsong" by Autumn
"Eastern Spirits" by Gyze

Comments

Popular Posts